- A Local-Organic Grocery & Deli and an Everyday Farm Market“featuring regional farmers, producers and food entrepreneurs to nurture an earth-friendly place to share food ideas and grow a local food economy and hey, by the way, farmer’s rule!” says Kevin Korpela.
- Grocery BagsWe’ve several options for carrying home your groceries:
– Brown and white paper bags
– Encourage the use of reusable bags: such as a paper bag from your last visit or a cloth bag, backpack, messenger bag, big purse or an upturned hat!
- Local and OrganicEmphasize food grown and produced by local and regional farmers, growers, and producers to minimize industrial methods, limit transportation costs and offer more farm to table options.
- Reuse an old buildingRestored a 100 year old retail storefront (constructed about 1910) on Wausau’s “Main Street.” Reconstruction began on March 1, 2006 by painting a “gigantic vegetable mural” on our windows, then removed non-original finishes revealing a hardwood floor, tin ceiling and plaster walls.
Wausau Green Grocery
- Main street locationLocated the old-fashioned grocery market inside an historic storefront on a “Main Street” to add one more interesting retail shop to “Main Street” and rejuvenate an old-fashioned concept: walking, biking or just less driving for those citizens living, working and socializing on Wausau’s East-side.
- Energy-efficient lightingInstalled compact fluorescent lighting for the “school-house” ceiling-hung light fixtures and we’re working to replace the spot and accent lights with compact fluorescent illumination, too.
- Earth-friendly degreasersThe tin ceiling was grimmy from an oil furnace gone bad or maybe a century of use. We used an earth-friendly degreaser, a sponge, and a wheeled scaffold to hand-scrub the ceiling!
- Earth-friendly paintsThe rich-colored walls were painted with a low-VOC or no-VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) paint. The paint takes a little extra effort in regards to its application but the richness in color is unmatched.
- Energy-star certified equipmentUse Energy-star rated equipment as much as possible.
Wausau Gluten Free
- Easy meal planning with a wide selection in every department:– Find a big selection of products in every department that are made “without” common allergens:
– such as: dairy free, egg free, gluten free, nut free, soy free, meat free, and yeast free.
– Are you looking for a product, please ask, we’ll work to find the item and answer your questions.
- Foods “made in our kitchen” are labeled to make informed decisions:– Menus are labeled to indicate recipe ingredients used to prepare the product:
– recipes indicate: DF|Dairy Free, EF|Egg Free, GF|Gluten Free, NF|Nut Free, V|Vegan.
– Prepared foods available for “Dine-in, Carry-out, it’s Healthy Food, Fast!”
– Selections include soups, entrees, sides, salad bar, olive bar, sandwiches, and wraps.
– Four-Week Menu shows allergen info for soups and entrees:
- World-inspired prepared foods that are allergen friendly:– Enjoy worldly fast-food for every meal while incorporating allergen friendly recipes.
- Chefs follow traditional methods, such as making homemade stocks:– Foods prepared using old-fashioned techniques, fresh ingredients, and mostly organic products.
- Bakeshops preparing allergen friendly goods, all scratch-made:– Downtown Grub bakes a unique mix of allergen-friendly products from bread to bites!
– Be Well Bakeshop bakes gluten-free and vegan goods to “…be healthy, feel good, taste joy”.
– Be Well Bakeshop is currently not operating.